Sunday 28 August 2011

"Beasts Within" Chapter II (ER Fan Fiction)


Pairing: Kerry/Kim
Rating: PG
Words: 4,190
Disclaimer: All recognizable characters have been borrowed without permission but without any intent or purpose of commercial gain.


~~~

Carl’s pacing is driving me up the wall.

When the man is deep in thoughts, he paces and the “tap… tap… tap…” of his loafers on the floor is making me crazy.

“Tap… tap… tap…”

I feel like a caged animal ready to jump on my prey at a moment’s notice. I don’t know how much more of this I can’t take.

“Tap… tap… tap…”

“Caaaaaaaaarl! Stop it! You’re making me crazy!” -I shout.

Startled, he looks at me like I am some form of alien life. He actually looks kind of funny like that, right at this very instant, and I have to make a great effort not to bust into laughter right there and then.

“He doesn’t need that kind of intervention Carl, he really doesn’t. This is a reaction to the meds…”

“Kim, I’m not so sure…”

“Tap… tap… tap…”

“Tep-tep-tep… tep-tep-tep… tep-tep-tep…”

My finger nails tap now on the desk and this becomes my signal. I have to go. I either go or I’ll kill the man. I motion to get up and gently, he grabs my arm.

“Okay, Kim, okay. You’re sure about this?”

“Yes”. -I answer.

“Okay, then”.

I practically run out of his office in my escape. I’m 15 minutes late for the meeting with the new junior attending we just hired and I really hate being late for things like that. Especially when there is no need.

I quickly reach my office and enter it.

She’s already waiting for me.

___________________________________________________________________

Let’s see on Google…

“Union Ceremony” I type on the keyboard and…

“Voilá…” -I mutter.

‘’Wow’ -I think in my surprise- ‘There are so many links… This is going to take me longer than I thought…’

“Mhmmm… let’s see… Vermont… wow! You can do anything in Vermont… Planning for more than 25 people…”

“Are we going to have more than 25 people in this thing?” -I suddenly ask myself realizing I have no idea about who are we going to invite to our ceremony.

As this thought dawns on me I lean back on the chair and start thinking about possible guests. Not a long list, 
I’m afraid. Immediately, I grab the pad on top of the desk and start jotting names.

“Abby, Luka, Carter, Randi, Christy, Kate, Jason, Joan, Suzanne, Ethan, Elizabeth...”

“Not many, are there?” -I quietly say to myself as the phone starts to ring.

“Hello…”

“Kerry? It’s Abby, how are you? How are you feeling?”

I smile at the phone as I look at the first name written on the list.

“I’m ok Abby, still feeling a bit…”

“Do you need anything? Would you like me to come over and check up on you?”

I smile again. Abby has become a guardian angel of sorts. She’s always present just a couple of steps behind, watching me, protecting me. It is touching really, although at times disconcerting, as I really cannot fully understand the reason behind her apparent devotion.

“No Abby, I’m okay, really. Just a little fever but I’m doing alright. Actually I was thinking about going back to bed... I’m starting to feel a bit tired again”.

“What is it, the flu?”

“No, my tonsils again. Oh, by the way, have you seen Kim? I called her earlier but all I got was her answering service”.

“Actually I haven’t Kerry, she has not shown up around here today. Do you want me to page her for you?”

“No, it’s okay. Just, if you see her, please tell her I’m feeling better and that I’m going to take a nap. Could you do that for me, please?”

“Sure Kerry, done. Take care?”

“I will Abby. Talk to you soon”.

And I hang up the phone.

I sigh.

I miss my wife.
___________________________________________________________________

Whoa..! Where did this chick come from?’ -I think as I step into my office and take a look at this absolutely radiant and gorgeous woman waiting for me.

“Dr. Legaspi?”

I nod and stretch my hand for the formal handshake.

“Hi, I’m Dr. Hunt. I’m sorry, am I too early?”

Horns and whistles are firing up in my mind. ‘Hunt, huh? How appropriate? Yeah, I bet you do a lot of hunting...’

“Oh no, sorry. It was me, I was tied down in a meeting. Please sit down”.

“Thank you...”

‘Well, well, well... they’re definitely improving in their looks these girls from Northwestern... wow... I mean, she is stunning!

“Well, you certainly do have experience in Trauma. That’s good. We don’t have an attending assigned to the ER at the moment because we just simply cannot cope with the load up here but with you, we might be able to hack it now. That’s great...” -I say as I try very hard to use my best professional demeanor.

“Yeah well... I always sort of wanted to work here at County. I mean, just to have a chance to live through the experience...”

“It is an overrated experience... Gillian? Your name is Gillian, right?”

“Yes, Dr. Legaspi”.

“Oh please, call me Kim... Listen, well, it looks like you’re ready to go. I already talk to Dr. DeRaad so we can start as soon as you’re ready”.

“Oh? Well, that’s great. I just need a couple of days to get my ass together...”

‘Your ass is quite fine, darling’ -I think, smiling.

“... I can start on Wednesday morning if that’s all right with you”.

“Sure... that’s perfect Gillian, perfect. Well, I guess I’ll see you in a couple of days then”.

“Yes, thank you Dr. Legaspi”.

“Sure, no worries”.

I walk this young goddess to the elevator and as soon as she’s gone I go back to my office. I sitt and lean my head back upon the wall.

‘What am I doing? What the hell am I doing? What was that about? I’m almost a married woman for Christ’s sake! No! No! No! I cannot do this anymore, I mean, I have Kerry... I love Kerry... I can’t do this anymore! For crying out loud!’

I feel my thoughts almost shouting at me; my upright superego engaged in a bloody fight with my wild id. Shaking my head I check my watch, “Finally, time to go home” -I mutter quietly.

“You’re home?” -She says with a small voice as soon as she hears me walk into the kitchen.

“Yeah, I sneaked out a little earlier...” -I answer back as I turn to lock the door. Immediately I feel her arms wrap around my waist and her breasts and stomach against my back.

“I missed you” -She says, snuggling her face against me.

I turn around and cup her face in my hands. Man! Look at her, she must be the most beautiful thing there is walking on the face on this planet. I gently pull her to me and my lips land softly on hers. I kiss her gently, sucking her lower lip a bit. She moans quietly. I unwillingly separate myself from her and whisper, “How are you Ker?”

Our foreheads touching, I can feel her breath on my face.

“Much better sweetie”.

As soon as I hear those words, I pull her into a tight embrace. Her face is resting now on my chest just above my breasts. One of my hands holds her waist tightly and the other, cradles her head in place. That place in my heart.

“I’m so glad baby...”

“Kim...”

“Mhmmm...?”

“I really missed you today. I tried to call you but I just kept getting your answering service”.

“Yeah, I’m sorry babe. I had a meeting with Carl that went on for ages... I mean, the man can talk... and talk... and talk... I did talk to Abby though, she gave me your message. When was the last time you took your temp?”

“Oh... like six hours ago but I haven’t had any more fever. I feel much better, really. I should be able to go back to work in the morning... well, I hope at least...”

“Well, we’ll see about that. In the mean time, let’s get some dinner and then, bed, okay? I really don’t want you to feel bad again in the morning. So, up you go baby...” -I say this as I disengage from the embrace. Lightly I touch her backside and feel her buttocks underneath her sweat pants. She turns around and flashes a wicked smile at me.

“No Miss Weaver, forget it. Go upstairs, get in bed and wait for me, okay?”

Partially disappointed, she nods and heads to the bedroom.

Ten minutes later I bring the food in a tray, maneuvering its weight the best way I know how. As soon as she sees me struggling in the stairs, she approaches to help me out.

“Give me…”

“But Kerry, I can manage…”

Looking at me with an arched brow, she smiles.

“Sorry honey but you’re as graceful as those hypos in Fantasia…”

“You...” -I say.

The woman can be caustic with that tongue of hers.

I glare at her furiously but she has already turned towards the bedroom, unwilling to meet my eyes. ‘Smart girl’ -I think to myself- ‘…Yeah! Run! hide! You don’t want to meet my fury…”’ -I chuckle- “…Yeah right, my fury…” -I mutter.

“Did you say something?” -asks Kerry.

Smiling at her and myself I answer, “Oh no, baby. Nothing”.

“Why are you smiling like that, then?”

“Oh… nothing… I just crack myself up some times, you know?”

Looking at me like I had gone into a psychotic episode Kerry just shrugs and starts whistling the musical theme from “The Twilight Zone”.

To add insult to injury, she laughs. Loudly.

“The nerve of this woman… laughing at me! At me!” -I say as I chase her into the bedroom.

After finishing up our meal of chicken soup and salad that I had picked up before getting home, life is again, peaceful. Kerry only had a bowl of soup and after taking her pills and nudging herself on my chest, she fell asleep almost immediately.

 I feel her even breathing against me and I sigh, contented. I rub her back slowly with my right arm feeling her skin and her small ribcage, while my left hand grabs the remote and zaps through the channels. After 15 minutes of zapping I turn off the TV, defeated.

Gently, I roll Kerry to her side of the bed and she complies easily. I remove her slippers from her feet and put some socks on just in case she gets cold in the middle of the night. She squirms a little at my ministrations but finally let’s me have my way. I cover her with the blanket and the comforter and then, I just stand there watching as she goes, deeper into slumber, in her flannel pajamas and white socks.

Adorable, just adorable.

Tired, I pull myself to the bathroom and after brushing my teeth, I slip into the cool sheets.

Before offering myself to the God of Dreams, I turn to look at her once more.

I sigh.

I’m happy.

~~~

“You have got to be kidding me Kimberly Legaspi! I am not putting that thing on!”

“Yes you are, sweetheart…”

“I’m not!”

“Oh yes you are, Kerry…”

“I said I’m not! I’m not a child, you know? In case you haven’t noticed I…”

“Then stop behaving like one! Christ! You make me so… Uuurrrrgghhhh! You know what? I don’t care! Do whatever the fuck you want! But I don’t want to hear one word, you heard me, right? Not one word about it if you feel sick again later, okay? Did you hear me Kerry Marie Weaver?”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

And so my beloved exists the scene, stomping her feet on the floor.

‘Oh, okay... that went rather well, don’t you think? At least I don’t have to wear that hideous scarf..!’ 

-I think as I gather my coat and my own scarf (thank you very much…) which is discreet and able to do the job as well as that other ghastly… thing.

“Are you ready hon?” -Yells my wife from downstairs signaling me that the sudden tsunami of moments earlier, has died out.

‘God, she’s sweet’ -I think.

“Yeeeeaaaaahhh! I’m coming down…” -I yell back.

The ride to County is peaceful and nice as the sun shines through the window of the car, warming me up. I sigh.

“At what time are you off today, babe?”

Kim’s voice startles me for a moment.

“Six…”

“Remember to take it easy, okay? You don’t want to over do it…”

I look at her as we stop at a traffic light. She’s the portrait of Mother Earth.

“Kim…” -I say calmly- “... I know…”

She smiles at me and squeezes my hand gently as the light changes. I turn my gaze outwards again.
Satisfied, I smile to myself.

As soon as we step into the hospital, the chaotic rhythm of my ER is upon me.

“Morning Dr. Weaver!” -says Haleh from the admission desk.

I motion to open my coat when Kim grabs my arm and pulls me towards her.

“I love you…” -she whispers in my ear. I whisper back enjoying our intimacy in the middle of the chaos, “I love you too…”

And then, just as natural and as impulsive as everything about her she hugs me, pulling me to her chest and kissing me in the crown of my head. Just as swiftly as the movement started, it’s finished. She’s gone now, walking to the elevator. All I’m able to do is brush my hair back in place and stare at her with a smile in my face.

“Aaawww… that’s sweet…”

I look up to the source of the voice. It’s Carter.

“Morning John…” -I say hurriedly, trying to erase my embarrassment- “Is there any coffee left?”

“Oh come on Kerry… that was sweet! Aren’t you going to say anything?”

“Yeah, sure… sweet. There. Are you happy now Carter?”

Carter looks at me unsatisfied by my answer. Expecting more, his boyish eyes stare down at me with a hint of humor.

“What? What? What is it with everybody today? Why won’t people just let me be?” -I ask irritated.

Here Dr. Weaver...” - He says handing me some charts- “You want to be left alone, right? Here. Malucci is on, Luka’s on, Corday’s off, Benton’s on. Happy now, Dr. Weaver?”

I take the charts without looking at him. This sort of attention directed at me makes me want to jump off my skin. It’s uncomfortable, smothering even. I know that they don’t mean any harm by it but I just can’t handle it. One thing is to allow this sort of things, these public displays of attention in plain daylight view, and another very different, is to dwell on them.

I walk to the lounge when Haleh yells at me.

“Dr. Weaver! Multiple MVA victims! ETA’s 5 minutes!”

I step into the lounge and pretty much throw the charts on the desk by the wall, together with my purse, coat and the scarf.

-Okay... Sir? Sir! Please look at me! Calm down! We’ll be doing some things to you and I need you to remain still, okay? You’ll be fine. What happened? Can you tell me what happened?

I stare down at this young face covered with blood. I place my hands at both sides of his head and smile. The sheer terror pouring from his eyes pierces me.

“You’re going to be fine. Just let us do our job…” -I say in a softer voice.

Turning to my team I yell forcefully, fueled by this young man’s anguish.

“Turn him over to check for back injuries!”

I slide between Luka and Haleh and glide my fingers along the curvature of his spine.

“Sir? I need you to tell me… does this hurt?” -I ask the young man as I press my fingers along his back.

“No…” -He manages to answer in a frightened voice.

“He’s clear!”

I go back to him and he locks his eyes to mine.

“I need to know about my girlfriend, could you tell me if she’s here?”

I smile beneath the protective mask and gently squeeze his hand.

“I’ll be right back” -I whisper at him.

I step out and from afar I can see Kim leaning on the admission desk chatting with Abby. As much as I would love to talk to her, I can’t. I keep going from room to room.

“Carter! What have you got?”

“Spleen lac, minor concussion. Benton’s waiting”.

“Fine! Take him! By the way, have you seen a young woman…?”

“Yeah, like 20? In Trauma One…”

“Could you please tell the guy in Trauma Two that his girlfriend is here?”

“Sure, no problem”

“Thanks, John...”

I step again out and again my eyes locate Kim in the ER. She’s now talking to a young woman by the desk while Malucci, flabbergasted, stares at both of them.

-Malucci! Get your butt over here! Now!

At the sound of my voice Kim and her companion turn around. She smiles at me and I wave, shyly. The young woman by her side is certainly striking. She smiles back.

“Yeah, Chief?” -Malucci asks with a childish voice.

“Are you looking to get fired?” -I furiously yell at him.

“But Chief! It was just a moment!”

“Get in there and do your job! I swear to God, the next time Dave, I’ll fire you! I’m so tired of your bullshit!”

I grab his arm and shove him inside. I still feel Kim’s eyes upon me. I look up only to see her approaching me. “Beauty woman” by her side.

“Hi…”

“Hi Kim…”

“Kerry I wanted to introduce Dr. Gillian Hunt, your new Psych attending…”

I stare at Kim not quite understanding the full meaning of her words. ‘A new Psych attending…? And what happened to you?’. She reads me, immediately.

“I’ll still be Chief Attending for the ER but with so much going on upstairs we needed somebody here to cover for you, full time. Soooo… that’s why we hired Gillian here”.

I turn to “beauty woman” who has not stopped smiling at me the whole time. I turn and smile back; her luminous hazel eyes watching me attentively. Her gaze makes me somewhat uneasy.

“Hi! Nice meeting you Gillian…” -I manage to say.

“Nice meeting you Dr. Weaver, Kim has told me a lot about you…”

At her words I stare back at Kim. She reads me, again.

“Oh well you know Kerry, about your work here at the ER, what will be expected of her… you know... the drill…”

“Yeah… I know the drill… So Gillian, when are you ready?”

“I’m ready now Dr. Weaver. As soon as you have the time to see me”.

“Okay, well… let me just finish in here. Perhaps we could even grab some lunch…”

“Sure, that would be great”.

“Alright. Let me go back”.

I turn to Kim who is standing there with a grin on her face.

“I’ll see you later?” -I ask her.

“Of course you’ll see me later. Got to go now, though”.

Kim winks at me... -‘Did she actually just wink at me in the middle of the ER?’ -grabs my forearm and again like earlier, kisses my forehead. The woman knows no boundaries.

“Bye Dr. Weaver. Should I pick you up in say… half hour?”

“Yes, thank you Gillian”.

And these two outstanding women leave heading to the elevators. ‘…If Gillian didn’t know about us before she certainly got a glimpse of the nature of our relationship now. I have to talk to Kim about this I mean, I don’t mind (Well.. I do, but what the heck!) that my staff knows about us but does the whole hospital have to know about it as well? Man!’ -I think to myself as I walk to the lounge.

The thirty minutes have come and gone and I’m waiting for Gillian.

And there she comes.

Heads start popping out of the exam rooms. Malik stumbles in front of the elevator. Carter drops his charts. I laugh inside. Amazing.

“Sorry for the delay Dr. Weaver, the elevator got…”

“Stuck in the second floor, right?

“Yeah… how did you…?”

“I’m God… I know everything…” -I say with a smirk in my face.

We walk slowly towards Magoo’s and the sun washes my face yet again. I feel her steps alongside mine. They’re so different than Kim’s, they’re even longer, if that’s possible. The wind changes and suddenly, I take in a trace of her perfume and I inhale deeply, desperately trapping the perfume molecules before they vanish literally, into thin air.

I look up and I mean up, as the woman towers above me. ‘Is she actually taller than Kim…?’ I think to myself as I admire her sculpted profile. She looks down and catches me staring at her. ‘Shit! Say something Weaver, quick’

“So… Gillian… how old are you?”

‘Oh man… this keeps getting better and better… what kind of stupid question is that?’

“Why? Do I look too young for you, Dr. Weaver?”

‘TouchĂ©’

“Oh no, just… wondering…”

‘Another beautiful response on your part Kerry. How articulate have you become my…’

“I’m thirty-six. Do I carry them well?”

She slides a glance at me, sort of sneaky looking.

‘Huh…?’

“Oh no! I mean, yes! You do. In fact you look younger”.

“Hmm… that might not be such a good thing. People might not take me seriously… Would you take me 
seriously, Dr. Weaver?”

‘Huh?’

“Of course Gillian, a good professional should not be judged by his or age. If you have been chosen for your job you must be really good. I respect Dr. Legaspi and Dr. DeRaad’s opinion highly, and if they have chosen you…”

“No Dr. Weaver… I mean you…”

We stop in front of Magoo’s and my jaws are solidly locked. I’m astonished as I really cannot fully grasp the meaning behind her words. I try to answer something, anything really and as I’m about to start, she adds, “Oh come on, Dr Weaver, you look cold and hungry”.

And she grabs my arm and pulls me inside the diner.

‘Huh…?’

I step out of the elevator and Abby catches up to me as I start walking down the corridor. She smiles at me like some kind of teenager and I honestly have to admit to myself that I love to see her smile like that.

“You’re in a good mood...” -I say when she approaches.

“You think?”

“Yeah..? What’s that smile about?”

“What smile? I’m not smiling...”

‘Is she humming... Why... I believe she’s humming...What’s that song...?’

“Are you humming, Abby?”

“Me? Humming? You must be hearing things Kim... Going to the chapel and we’re gonna get married... hum... humhumhumhumhumhum...”

“Abby Lockhart!”

“Yes, Kimberly Legaspi?”

“Is that the song I think it is? Is there anything you might want to tell me?”

“Moi? Nah... But...”

“But what?”

“I know something you don’t know... I know something you don’t know... nah, nah, nah, nah, nah...”

The woman is actually mocking me like a three-year old.

“You think you’re so cute, don’t you?”

“Everybody thinks I’m cute... even you...”

“Abby..!”

“Hi sweetheart! Ready to go home?”

I turn and immediately, I’m greeted by those green beacons. She’s standing there looking a little shabby already and sort of flushed. I leave Abby’s side not before giving her a glare in an attempt to make our friend understand that this conversation is so, not finished.

“Is everything okay?” -Kerry asks realizing the look in my eyes.

“Yeah, yeah. She just... uh... gets on my nerves sometimes, you know?”

“Yeah well, she gets on mine too but she’s a good friend. So, are you about to leave for home? Are you taking the El?

“Yes on both accounts... I just have to go check on Gillian... uh, by the way, how did that go?”

“Fine, fine... she seems... nice”.

“Uh? Did you just say nice?”

“Well Kimberly! And what would you want me to say, uh? I mean, 20 minutes of interrupted conversation at 
Magoo’s is hardly enough time to make a good assessment of character, you know?”

“Yeah sure... but... it’s just kind of weird to hear you say the word “nice” when you’re referring to a colleague”.

Kerry is glaring at me. ‘Shields up!’

“I’m sorry honey, forget about it, okay? You think you’ll be home at 6:30 then or later?” -I ask a little anxiously trying with all my power to divert the topic of conversation.

“I’ll be home on time. Are we still on for the Oscars?”

“Uh huh...”

“Okay, perfect. Do you want me to pick up something or do you have everything under control, for dinner I 
mean?”

“No, everything’s taken care of. Sushi, sashimi, wakame salad, yozas...”

“Sake...”

“Right, sake. I’m fine, I’ve got it all”.

“Okay, I’ll see you later then”.

Before she walks away, I kiss her on her right cheek. She kisses me back and starts walking. Without turning her head she hollers, “You have got to stop doing that Kim...”

I chuckle.

I love Kerry Weaver.

(End of Chapter II)

No comments:

Post a Comment